Sunday, March 31, 2013

Week 3


Notes.... those pertinent bits of information that you put on paper to reference later. I like to take notes. It keeps me on track and more involved in lectures and the general learning process.

S-RUN-R is a study technique we learned about this week. This technique is a system I was unfamiliar with; however, after exploring its features, I am looking forward to implementing it into study routines.

S: Survey- This gives the reader the opportunity to skim through the material and gain an idea/perspective of what the material is about. Headings or changes in the text presentation may be hints to identifying key ideas.

R: Read- Reading each section is vital to obtaining and retaining information. By writing down the headings of each section in your notes, you are able to set the stage for organized note taking.

U: Underline/Highlight- Use this step to notate important information.

N: Note Taking- Use the headings from the previous steps to identify important pieces of information.
R: Review- Go over your notes and use other methods to help review (such as recitation, self-tests, asking questions). Go over any provided review material such as the textbook chapter reviews.

In addition to this aforementioned study technique, we also learned about two note taking systems: Cornell and Outlines. I'm definitely an outline kind of girl. I like to break down bigger ideas into more detailed subsections.

As a class, we discussed homework strategies. I have to admit, I'm pretty much all over the place when it comes to doing homework. I enjoy working in areas that are full of chaos, and I flip-flop between assignments constantly. It may not be ideal according to research; however, it works extraordinarily well for me.

I'm still feeling positively about my decision to become an online learner at Shorter. In fact, after doing more research with my advisor this past week, I'm kind of upset I didn't jump on the online bandwagon sooner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Erinn Online: Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
and web hosting